The Live Spot is open for extended summer hours!
Monday-Thursday: 8AM- 5:30PM
Friday: 8AM- 5PM
SUMMER PROGRAMS AND WORKSHOPS:
- Mindful Awareness – Students will learn to be mindful & present. Learn to meditate to reduce stress and learn breathing exercises.
- Reach for the Stars – Students will spend time learning and or practicing a new skill, hobby, and or talent. Music, art, cooking, playing an instrument etc.
- Leadership 101 – Students will learn leadership skills, public speaking skills, how to lead a meeting of their peers and how to plan events.
- Attitude of Gratitude – Students will spend time each week practicing an attitude of gratitude. It has been proven that practicing an Attitude of Gratitude helps to reduce stress, improve sleep, strengthen relationships and feelings of contentment
- Game Day – Students will participate in healthy competition whether it be playing Uno, basketball, or super smash bros tournament.
- Explore Butte County – Students will participate in no cost to low cost field trips in Butte County. Bidwell Park, Oroville Cinemas, Chico Nature Center etc.
- Ted Talks – Student will spend time watching Ted Talks on teen issues and have healthy discussions with their peers about TT.
- Action Team – The Live Spot Action Team is a unique program that prepares high school students for leadership, responsibility and jobs. Action Team members are a crucial part of the Live Spot team and help to give back to the Gridley community as whole. Action Team volunteers their time at the canine rescue, spend quality time with the elderly and help give back to the community.
- Movie days – Movie Mondays will allow students to sit and relax with friends while watching age appropriate movies with free snacks.
About the Live Spot
The Live Spot is a comprehensive youth program (6th-12th grade) designed to build the skills and capacity of young people, provide opportunities for meaningful youth engagement and involvement in pro-social activities and reduce/prevent gang involvement /delinquency. The Live Spot offers youth led, youth developed programming, workshops, vocational/job opportunities, mentoring, supportive services and events. The Live Spot employs young people to develop, implement and evaluate Live Spot services. Young people are the primary partners at The Live Spot and are recruited to plan and implement all facets of youth activity at the center, from co-facilitating solution focused group meetings to being trained as youth evaluators. The Live Spot is a place where young people learn ways to contribute to the Gridley community. During The Live Spot open hours participants are involved in a number of pro-social activities designed to open communication and develop trust between staff and participants.
In addition, the Live Spot provides young people with mentors, tutors and supportive services from partner agencies.
The Action Team
The Live Spot Action Team is a unique program that prepares high school aged youth for leadership, responsibility and jobs. Action Team members are a crucial part of the Live Spot team and have the opportunity to create and implement activities for the participants at the Live Spot, attend life skills workshops every day, support Live Spot fundraisers, and do extra activities in the community. The Action Team helps support the Sutter Buttes Canine Rescue (pictured below) and we volunteer weekly at a local Senior Assisted Living Facility and do activities with the residents (pictured in header). It provides a rewarding experience for our students and friends (furry & older friends). Weekly we have lots of fun and we look forward to each coming week when it comes to being part of something so positive. We’re always planning great community service learning projects so if you’re interested in giving back to the Gridley/Biggs community then consider joining us!
The Action Team is open to high school students that want to take a larger role in the success of the Biggs/Gridley community. The program requires a weekly group meeting as well as a commitment to volunteer at the weekly meetings.
Meeting Date: Thursdays 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM
Become a member: The Action Team is currently open for recruitment. If you are interested in becoming part of the Action Team please contact the Live Spot at (530) 846-7309
Live Spot programs and services are funded by MHSA
The Gridley Live Spot (located in the Guardian Building on the Gridley High School Campus)
200 East Spruce Street, Gridley, CA